Skip to main content

My Story As A Dispatcher .

                             Image result for dispatchers idiots                                                                             


                                            
                                                   
The phone rings ,not again I hope it will not be a  tough call but an easy call 😃I receive that call with faith ,hoping for the best.'' Hello?'' This is the emergency medical call cent re ,kefa on the line .How may I help you and what is your emergency? I hold my breath to hear what the caller on the other side of the call has to tell me.The caller is yelling at me ,I need an ambulance right now 🚑,My CHILD ONE YEAR OLD  IS DYING ,please help come right now.What has happened to the child ?Where are you  calling from? ,I ask the caller.H e answers me ,"why are you asking to many questions ,cant you not get it, my child is dying ?I really try explaining to the caller why am asking questions but doesn't understand why ? He hangs up the phone.My worst calls are for infants and babies.I try calling the caller but the phone goes  unanswered and later on  the mobile subscriber cannot be reached .This is one of my worst  days during my shift.Lots of questions run through my mind.

 Image result for dispatchers idiots

What if the child dies?
Have they rushed the child to the hospital?
How urgent was it ?
At times I would think what If  it was my child ?
The baby is just so innocent if she /he dies forever will I hold my guilt  and blame myself.






Image result for what makes one a good dispatcher




There times when you have  dispatched your crew and it becomes  another night mare .The lead EMT raises me,"This is alpha one  and I  am informing that  that we have a papa who is in critical condition and we are  about thirty kilometers away from the facility that the patient is been taken  ,and we are stuck in traffic .The patients condition has deteriorated ,blood pressure is low ,no sign of breathing,temperature cold ,Glasgow coma scale (GCS)is five out of fifteen ,and we are losing a pulse .We starting resuscitation but no pulse after 10 seconds ,no shock-able rhythm ,unfortunately the patient is dead and my crew just switches of the radio.It is never easy hearing the patient never made it .What if it was my family ,the love of my life ,my best friend  or that long time friend you have never met for met for so many years.I go home a sad dispatcher  and that call keeps haunting me

Image result for most people think dispatchers sit on their chairs,answer phones and punish crews



At the end of the day I get positive remarks from my crew" the patient was critical but we still managed to keep the patient alive and arrived at the hospital on time ."That day is a successful shift and everyone returns to their home with a smile on their faces .

There times I  have to give medical directions over the phone ,guide you how to start CPR which is known as cardiopulmonary heart resuscitation ,how to control bleeding ,how to use an inhaler if someone gets an asthma attack or what to do if he or she does have an inhaler,what to do also if one has seizure and other medical directions.







Image result for what makes one a good dispatcher


WHAT PEOPLE THINK I DO 
 Image result for most people think dispatchers sit on their chairs,answer phones and punish crews


  Being both an EMT and a dispatcher, I see things a little differently. Most people think dispatchers sit in our chairs, answer phones and punish crews by sending them to calls they don’t want to go to. Nothing could be further from the truth.They call us idiots
When a dispatcher walks in to begin a shift, we walk in to the equipment. We don’t have to clean stretchers, wash trucks or worry about checkoffs. What we do have to worry about is keeping our crews safe and understanding callers in a complete panic who are trying to give us their location. We rely on good teamwork from our fellow dispatchers and trust they will always by our side when needed. You can be the best dispatcher in the center, but only if you have the best partner.
When it really boils down to it, dispatchers are the first first res ponders. Without being on scene, we are still the initial contact in an emergency. The mentality, both in the field and in dispatch, can be “us vs. them”; why not just “us”? Dispatchers couldn’t help callers without crews, and vice versa.
Image result for dispatcher in operating system

Reasons Why I Am Still  A Dispatcher
1) My co-workers. Although there are days when we can irritate the hell out of each other, I do work with a good bunch of men and women. We have one another backs. I know if I call another local agency, I can get help or information. Dispatchers are good folks. We offer a place to stay when another s house burns down. . When a disaster hits, we’re there for our companions.Most of all, we watch over out law enforcement, firefighters, and emergency medical personnel every shift come heat, cold, or rain. We laugh, yell, hold our breath, and cry with you. Our best part of the shift is when the field personnel get to go home at the end of their shift and the worst part is when they don’t.




2 ) I’m in the ‘know’ about the big crimes or tragedies before the media even finds out. We find out and tell each other what is going on faster than The Flash can ran around the World. I can’t say how many times a member of the press has called wanting information that I was told not to say a word about, or officially had ‘no comment’ on when we really had a wealth of data. There's nothing worse than being the last to know about a crime spree, especially within your own department
3 ) I like handling ‘hot calls’. I love that adrenaline rush when an in-progress call (event) comes in. There is no better drug than adrenaline. Let’s face facts, our heart rate speeds up, we get excited, and high-five co-workers when the event ends on a positive note. In that respect, we’re no different from the field personnel. In my earlier days, I loved handling working fires,No one can multi-task like a dispatcher. 




 Image result for most people think dispatchers sit on their chairs,answer phones and punish crews


 5) I get to tell cops, firemen, and paramedics what to do. I’m basically a control freak. Hey, what dispatcher isn’t? Having power over what field units do with their time is a rush. Am I on an ego trip? No, I’m thinking more along the lines of a conductor in a symphony. Sure, the musicians can play without the guy with the thin stick but they sound a thousand times better when he leads them, coordinates the sounds (activities), and even fixes to occasional goof. Sure, the guys & gals are good-nature d and do a great job. They will mess with us a bit, in good fun, but when it's time to be serious, we all take care of one another. I won't go home if one of 'my' units is still out there. I don't rest until he or she is code 4 (secure).


Image result for most people think dispatchers sit on their chairs,answer phones and punish crews
7) I get to talk with nice people on the phone. Remember when we were teenagers and loved to talk on the telephone about nothing all day? Now I'm are paid to be on the phone. Oh, and some of the callers are not very pleasant and a small percentage need to have their mother’s hand them a bar of Lux soap to stick on their mouths. Seriously, get creative with the English language and tell me off with a twenty-letter word that doesn’t end in ‘er.

 Image result for what makes one a good dispatcher


 Image result for dispatchers idiots


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road Safety For Kids.

  Safety First” is “Safety Always.” Keeping your kids safe at all times can be tricky when you cannot be with them always. Parents ensure the safety of their child at home, and teachers or caretakers are responsible for the kid’s safety at school. But who keeps them safe on the road? Whether your children walk to school or take the bus, they should be taught about the rules to stay safe on roads. Importance Of Road Safety Rules and Regulations For Kids: Unlike adults, children do not have the maturity to know what to do and what not, when walking on the roads. Without adult supervision and proper knowledge of road safety rules, children can put themselves at risk.When it comes to the safety of your children, you should not compromise. Teach about road safety for children as soon as they are old enough to step out of the house. Ensure that they understand what you are saying by practicing it with them 3 Rules To Ensure Road Safety For Kids While...

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE BASIC FIRST AID SKILLS.

http://mummytales.com/the-amara-initiative-everyone-should-have-basic-first-aid-skills/ IMPORTANCE OF FIRST AID IN OUR DAILY LIFE Nowadays first aid is very important in our daily life .because having a knowledge of first aid we can neglect the feeling of hopelessness when some one need help in kind of emergency we don't have to be a doctor to help any body in kind of sickness condition but knowing few skills of first aid can make a hope for saving our life in kind of emergency.   first aid education is very good education to aware people of the society our children in their schools in institution so that they can use this first aid knowledge to save the life of others at the time of their grave medical condition. first aid  is very important aspect of increasing your knowledge and how you can extent your knowledge to help some one in any kind of incident or it could be any thing . Nowadays  it is essential for each member of the society to know about ...

WORLD AIDS DAY.

World aids day is celebrated every year all over the world on 1 st  of December to raise the public awareness about AIDS (Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome). AIDS is a pandemic disease caused due to the infection of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). The day is celebrated by the government organizations, NGOs, civil society and other health officials by organizing the speeches or forums discussion related to the AIDS.  World Aids Day 2018 would be celebrated at Saturday, on 1 st   of December. The 30 th  World AIDS Day is observed across the world under the theme ‘Know Your Status’. The celebrations of the 2018 World AIDS Day have two aims: 1) It urged people to know their infection status through testing and access of treatment and care services. 2) It urged the governments to promote a ‘Health for All’ agenda for HIV and other health services. Importance of Wearing Red Ribbons on World AIDS Day  People across the world wear Red Ribbons show...